Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday


Clean smelling sponges:
I am posting this for Works for me Wednesday over at Rocks in My Dryer.
Ok, this is gonna sound weird, but I cannot stand kitchen sponges that have even the slightest odor. So, I have a few solutions.
  1. Rinse your sponges with Hydrogen Peroxide. (I used to do this, but I have a new system)
  2. I have 2 sponges. One is in the sink ( I do the cleaning and disinfecting with this one), and one is in the dishwasher (waiting to be washed). So, when I run the dishwasher, the one that was in there is clean and fresh and comes out and the other one goes in. I run my dishwasher about once a day, so I always have a clean sponge. This is environmentally friendly too. I can keep a sponge for awhile! They never really get the chance to get too dirty!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good tip! Thanks. :)

A Stone Gatherer said...

Super tip! I hate smelly sponges too! YUCK! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Great tip. I'll be doing this from now on. I usually run them through the washing machine with the drying clothes but I don't think the water is hot enough to really clean them properly.

Thanks.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I clean my kitchen sponges in the dishwasher too. Once they are finally dead, I cut them up and put in them in my potted plants to make self watering potting soil mix.

Jeni said...

I run mine through the dishwasher occasionally. What I really like to do, with both my sponges and my dishcloths, is to rinse them with boiling water every day. When I make tea, I just add a little extra to the kettle, and pour it over the sponge or cloth in the sink. It kills the bacteria & the smell!

Veggiemomof2 said...

Great tip!

Jerralea said...

I'll have to try this.

Sisters Savings said...

Thanks for all your comments! I love comments! I will also try some of those tips you gave me! I love clean sponges too!

Anonymous said...

Another tip that I read is the BEST way to KILL all of the germs that love to live in sponges (even better than the dishwasher according to the article) is to get the sponge very wet and then zap it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. It will be VERY hot when it is done, and germs will be GONE!

Mombrud said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I have heard of Fels Naptha but haven't tried it. I finally threw away my crayoned baby clothes after trying everything and 5 or 6 washes. I will try this next time.

Rachel said...

I do the microwave tip for my dishclothes. It works great.

Anonymous said...

Great idea using the dishwasher for this. I'll remember to do this once I get a dishwasher. For now I use the microwave.

I never heard about using hydrogen peroxide before. Seems like a good idea.

Meijer MealBox 3