Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday


Here I go again! My "Works for me Wednesday" this week, again, has to do with unpleasant smells. I cannot stand unpleasant smells and work hard to eliminate them in my home. I posted a couple weeks ago about kitchen sponges and how to eliminate odors there!
Well, this one has to do with chicken. I cook chicken almost daily! When I prepare chicken to cook, I am very thorough on cleaning the chicken, cutting off any excess fat, etc. Well, I would throw the unused portion of chicken in my trash can. Leaving uncooked chicken in a trash can for even a short time could end up very unpleasant. Then, the trash would sit in the outdoor can for a time, depending on our trash pick up day, and that would be unpleasant outside! I also tried the disposal, but for some reason, it seemed as though I could never get it completely gone in the drain and smells would start to come from the sink. I quit doing that due to problems from it. So, I needed another solution.
Well, here it is...I have a plastic container with a lid in my freezer that I pull out when I am cleaning chicken. I put any excess that I remove from the chicken, place it in the container, put the lid back on and pop it back in the freezer! This eliminates all of these offensive odors. The chicken stays frozen until trash pick-up! When we put trash out, I simply empty the container in the trash, and it goes out and is gone in a very short time!
Check out all of the helpful hints over at Rocks in My Dryer!

4 comments:

Crayl said...

My parents live in a small town and take their garbage to the dump, so they have this issue as well. They also fish a lot...even worse than chicken. They do this same idea only in Ziplocks, you have to be careful while looking in their freezer for goodies! ICK! :) But seriously, I hate bad smells too, great idea.

Momof3 said...

great tip. so glad I stumbed on your site.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is a great idea! Very clever. I am totally copying you.

Becca said...

I've heard of a lot of people who do that. Everyone who does it says it works well so it is probably something I should start doing.

Meijer MealBox 3