Saturday, September 20, 2008

All Natural Cleaning Products


So, I have been posting about my endeavors of making some homemade cleaning and laundry products. I have been using them for a few weeks now and I think I am ready to report.

Homemade laundry detergent.
  • Recipe:
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap (found anywhere...about 1.29/bar)
  • 1/2 cup washing soda (found at Kroger, Meijer...about 3.99)
  • 1/2 cup Borax (found anywhere, about 2.99)
  • 2 quart bucket
  • Grate soap into a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water, stir until it dissolves. Add borax and washing soda. Stir until it dissolves. Pour 4 cups hot water into bucket. Add soap mixture. Now add 1 gallon, plus 6 cups water into bucket. Stir and let set over night. It will gel, not completely though.
  • Use about 1/2 cup per load ( I used about one).
Verdict: Clothes smell fresh ( I still use dryer sheets) but overall, I am happy with it. It is a lot less expensive (Just buying the starter boxes gives you enough for a long time! And I am talking months and months and months!) Am I convinced my clothes are truly getting clean? I do not know yet. They seem clean, but for stains, etc. I do not think it is effective.
The Fels Naptha bar however, is very effective on stains. I just rub it on stains straight from the bar and have a lot of luck there!!

No comments:

Meijer MealBox 3