Monday, August 18, 2008

Healthy Green Tips

With all of the "e-coli" and "salmonella" outbreaks in the news lately, purchasing produce from anywhere can be scary. I never wanted to pay premium prices for the "fruit and veggie wash" you could purchase in the store, so I sort of have been scrubbing them with a little bit of dish detergent. Well, my sister-in-law has been doing a lot of research on "cleaning green" and has passed along a great fruit and veggie rinse to me. There are two: the first being a mixture of 2tbsp white vinegar to a pint of water. The other is a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in equal ratios. You can store either mixture in spray bottles. All you need to do then is spray the fruits and veggies, rinse and eat! Be sure it is the 3% hydrogen peroxide... Interestingly enough, hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and water! Doesn't get much purer than that!!! I am working on a lot of great "green cleaning" tips and recipes so check back for those! Tell me if you have any suggestions on this subject!!!

No comments:

Meijer MealBox 3