Friday, September 12, 2008

Local Markets...Awesome!

I am posting this for "Family Tip Friday", a new resource over at "BeCentsAble". Check out this blog, it is so useful in alot of ways!
My family tip is really something I was actually planning on doing tomorrow (weather permitting), so I am happy to be able to post about it. I have found a website called "Local Harvest". Click here to check it out! This is awesome! It shows you local farms, produce, markets, etc. I have been trying to find a local open air market in my area....with no luck, until now! Here's my vision:
Kids with me, picking out apples and fruits and vegetables, and loving it. Me not saying no every 5 seconds to Cheetos and Doritos, or other highly processed food. Me saving in my pocket book and feeling good about giving to the local farmers and economy.
Will this happen? I am not sure? I do remember as a young child always going to the "market" with my mom. I was allowed to have whatever I wanted there and I loved it. We would get a huge gourmet, homemade cookie from one of the stands...it was always very special to me and still is. Hopefully I can make this a tradition with my family also! Try it out and see what you come up with! Let me know what you find!
And, head on over to "BeCentsAble" to find other family tips!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also remember going to the market with my children, letting them get whatever they wanted. The truth is, we had no money and the people at the market let my kids have whatever they wanted.. free. At first I was embarrassed by this, but one of the grandma's explained that that is the gift of society - you give to the ones that cannot afford to do this. Grandma, who worked at the market (I only ever called her Grandma, and do not know her real name) said this was how you create memories, no one needed to know the truth. (she died about 5 yeas ago at age 98)

I can say that since my kids are grown and are such wonderful adults, I have bought things for strangers, sometimes they know, sometimes, when I can, like at an outdoor market, I just pay and let the merchants offer fresh fruits, home baked cookies, etc to the children without anyone knowing who paid for it.

Thank you for bringing back such a wonderful memory. Have fun at the market, you are creating more memories and traditions, than you will ever know.

Anonymous said...

This is a great site, thanks!!! I have also been looking for a market not too far from my home.

THANKS there are many to choose from

Sisters Savings said...

Thanks to both anonymous! Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Meijer MealBox 3