Thursday, August 7, 2008

The best thing I ever did was listened to my mother when she told me to plant some garden herbs. I am not really the sort of person that thought I could just go outside, cut some garden herbs and cook with them. She was purchasing some things for me for my birthday, I asked her to help me with my garden, so I went with it...Well, how many times have I used them? Numerous!!!!!! I have basil and rosemary.. The rosemary goes on potatoes, chicken and in many marinades. The basil goes in anything and everything...Caprese salad, Lemon basil pasta salad, homemade pasta sauce..etc...When I am in a bind..I know I always have these, so I plan my menu around them and WOW....it tastes homemade, fresh and gourmet. I am saving so much money, as I used to purchase these things, use half and discard the portion I did not use....and these plants are growing like crazy..When I cut some off, it seems as though it multiplies!!! So, do not be wary of these grown in your own garden, hey are better than things grown on a farm somewhere with unknown chemicals, etc...My lemon pasta consists of:

1 box of the pasta of your choice
Juice from 2 lemons
1 bar of mozzarella cheese
A few Roma tomatoes
A small can of sliced olives
10 leaves of fresh basil chopped julienne
Splash of olive oil

Cook pasta according to box. Drain. Combine the rest of the ingredients.

Extra tip....After many times of cooking this, it tastes best with a splash of lemon juice from the "real lemon" squeeze bottle that can be found in your produce section. It adds a bit of sweetness to your pasta salad...

Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds delicious..I will have to try it out this weekend at my family cookout. I don't currently have any basil leaves growing in my garden...I will have to go to the store for that one!! =) That is a great idea though..I can't tell you how many times I have purchased fresh herbs and it goes bad before I get a chance to use it all. Thanks again..can't wait to see some more recipes.

Anonymous said...

OK, So I agree, listening to you Mom is a good thing. This sounds really good. Since this is your Mom, when are you cooking dinner for Dad and me?

Meijer MealBox 3